Learn how to remove Whirlpool dishwasher filter. Get detailed step-by-step instructions and maintenance tips for your appliance.
If you are experiencing problems with your Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning dishes properly or leaving spots on them, it may be time to clean or replace the filter.
The filter is an essential component of your dishwasher that traps food particles, debris, and other impurities, preventing them from circulating in your dishwasher and affecting its performance.
In this article, we’ll show you how to remove the filter from your Whirlpool dishwasher and clean it or replace it with ease.
Why You Need to Clean or Replace Your Whirlpool Dishwasher Filter
As mentioned earlier, the filter plays a crucial role in keeping your dishwasher clean and working efficiently. Over time, food particles, grease, and other debris can accumulate on the filter, reducing its effectiveness and causing your dishwasher to work harder to clean your dishes. If you don’t clean or replace the filter, it can lead to clogs, leaks, and even damage to your dishwasher.
How to Remove Whirlpool Dishwasher Filter
Before you start, make sure to turn off the power to your dishwasher and disconnect it from the power source to avoid any accidents. Here are the steps to remove the filter:
- Open the dishwasher door and locate the filter on the bottom of the tub.
- Grasp the filter handle, which is located in the center of the filter, and turn it counterclockwise.
- Lift the filter out of the dishwasher and set it aside.
Read Also: Where Is The Dishwasher Filter Location
How to Clean Whirlpool Dishwasher Filter
Once you have removed the filter, it’s time to clean it. Here’s how:
- Rinse the filter under running water to remove any loose debris.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or toothbrush to scrub away any remaining dirt or debris.
- Rinse the filter again under running water to remove any soap residue.
- Allow the filter to air dry completely before reinstalling it in the dishwasher.
How to Replace Whirlpool Dishwasher Filter
If you have a damaged or worn-out filter, it’s time to replace it. Here are the steps to replace the filter:
- Purchase a new filter from your local appliance store or online.
- Locate the filter housing, which is located at the bottom of the dishwasher tub.
- Place the new filter in the housing and turn it clockwise until it clicks into place.
- Run your dishwasher to ensure that the new filter is working properly.
When to Replace Whirlpool Dishwasher Filter
It’s recommended that you clean your Whirlpool dishwasher filter at least once a month to maintain its effectiveness. However, if you notice any signs of damage or wear, such as cracks or tears, it’s time to replace the filter.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When removing or replacing your Whirlpool dishwasher filter, there are some common mistakes you should avoid:
- Forgetting to turn off the power to your dishwasher before removing the filter.
- Forcing the filter out of the housing or using excessive force when turning the filter handle.
- Not cleaning the filter properly or allowing it to air dry completely before reinstalling it.
Tips for Maintaining Your Whirlpool Dishwasher Filter
Here are some tips to keep your Whirlpool dishwasher filter in good condition:
- Scrape any large food particles off your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher to reduce the amount of debris that enters the filter.
- Run hot water in the sink for a few seconds before starting your dishwasher to ensure that hot water flows into the dishwasher from the start, helping to dissolve any food debris in the filter.
- Use a dishwasher cleaner or descaler once a month to remove any mineral buildup or other debris that may be clogging the filter.
Can I replace my Whirlpool dishwasher filter with a generic or off-brand filter?
It’s recommended to use only genuine Whirlpool replacement filters to ensure optimal performance and avoid any potential damage to your dishwasher.
What should I do if my Whirlpool dishwasher is still not cleaning dishes properly after cleaning the filter?
If your Whirlpool dishwasher is still not cleaning dishes properly after cleaning the filter, you may need to check other components, such as the spray arm or detergent dispenser, for clogs or damage. It’s also recommended to check the water supply and ensure that the water pressure is adequate.
Can I clean my Whirlpool dishwasher filter in the dishwasher?
No, you should not clean your Whirlpool dishwasher filter in the dishwasher. Instead, remove the filter and clean it by hand under running water.
How often should I replace my Whirlpool dishwasher filter?
It’s recommended that you replace your Whirlpool dishwasher filter every six months or as needed, depending on the level of use and the condition of the filter.
Can I use dish soap to clean my Whirlpool dishwasher filter?
No, you should avoid using dish soap or any other harsh cleaning products on your dishwasher filter, as they can leave residue or damage the filter. Instead, use warm water and a soft-bristled brush or toothbrush to clean the filter.
Cleaning or replacing your Whirlpool dishwasher filter is an important step in maintaining your dishwasher’s performance and preventing clogs and other issues. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can easily remove, clean, and replace your Whirlpool dishwasher filter, ensuring that your dishes are clean and spotless every time.